The following are pros and cons:
By default we configure your tracker for SMS mode tracking, as its the mode practical for the United States which is our main market.
SMS Tracking Mode
When the tracker is setup in this mode, you simply call the tracker or send a text message to obtain its latitude and longitude location. These numbers will be used to enter into Google Earth, Google Maps, Yahoo Maps, or other mapping application. Once entered you'll see exactly where the tracker is located. (You may refer to the link below for the different online mapping software that you can use.)
- Can use a prepaid low cost SIM card (voice and text only). As little as $10 every two month and you only pay for what you use. Let the minutes expire and reactivate it a year later with the same number and SIM in a matter of minutes.
- Preserves the battery. In normal to lite use, it allows the tracker to go into sleep mode majority of its time online. You can achieve up to 80 hours on a full charge.
- Easy setup, works like this out of the box with no configuration necessary.
- Requires some manual data entry, having to enter the latitude and longitude into a mapping application.
- Logging previous locations requires you to keep the stored messages in your phone. The tracker will not store historical data.
*Some customers save Google earth maps to their computer if historical locations are needed).
GPRS Tracking Mode
The fancier side of tracking, with this mode is you'll use our GPRS server which will communicate over the internet to your tracker. You'll visit our website and use our mapping application to follow your tracker being updated every 10 seconds. A line will be drawn following your tracker as it moves through out the day, weeks, or months.
- Log into our website to watch your tracker updating our server live every 10 seconds. Very easy to follow, no data entry required.
- Send text message getaddress123456 to your tracker and it will respond with its physical address, not just the latitude and longitude numbers.
- Our server records a year's worth of tracking data so you can reference your trackers previous locations at any time.
- Requires a Voice, Text, and Unlimited Data SIM card, which can be a hefty expense of $40-$70 per month. If you're resourceful with SIM cards, you may find something at a lower cost. Just ensure its GSM and unlocked in order for it to work with your tracker. Most countries outside the USA will offer very inexpensive data plans, and this may be a feasible option for you if that is your scenario.
- The maintenance cost to use our GPRS server for 1 year per tracker is $100.
- Complex to setup, and takes time to work with us to properly configure SIM card, and tracker to communicate with our GPRS server. Once configured, its peanuts to use.
- Battery will last at most 3-5 business days per full charge. The unit has to communicate every 10-20 seconds which drains the battery quicker than normal.
- We don't recommend non-IT friendly users to select this option of tracking.